INDIANAPOLIS – Though the weather hasn’t always felt like it, summer is right around the corner. Memorial Day weekend traditionally marks the ceremonial start to summer as travel season ramps up. Whether you’re attending the Indianapolis 500, vacationing, visiting family and friends or just passing through, INDOT urges drivers to plan extra travel time, to stay informed on road conditions and to drive safely.
Road Work Suspended
Where possible, highway maintenance activities and construction projects will halt work during the holiday weekend to increase mobility and safety. INDOT directs its contractors to pull back barriers and barricades to the safest extent possible to accommodate the anticipated increase in holiday travel. Some restrictions and reduced speed limits will remain in place due to ongoing road construction, including:
- On I-94 in Lake County, the ramp connecting to northbound I-65 remains closed.
- On I-65 in Lake County, traffic is one lane in each direction on the bridge over Central Avenue, north of I-94.
- On I-65 in Lake County, traffic is two lanes in each direction between U.S. 30 and U.S. 231.
- 101st Avenue remains closed over I-65 in Lake County.
- Bridge work on SR 49 has lanes closed in Porter County from U.S. 30 to Division Road.
- In LaPorte County, traffic is one lane each direction east-west at the SR 2 and U.S. 20 intersection, which is closed to north-south traffic.
- The U.S. 35 bridge in downtown LaPorte is one lane in each direction.
- U.S. 30 is one lane in each direction at SR 17 in Marshall County.
- SR 23 is one lane controlled by a temporary signal at the bridge over Potato Creek in St. Joseph County.
- On I-69:
- In Grant county, lane restrictions and crossovers between mile marker 263-271 in both directions with no northbound re-entry at SR 18 (mile marker 264).
- In Allen County, lanes closed for bridge work between mile markers 300 and 310.
- In Steuben County, lanes closed at mile marker 340 with lane shifts at mile 345.
- Watch for brief lane closures on I-74 between Waynetown and Crawfordsville for bridge construction, between mile markers 25-39 in Montgomery County.
- There will be NO construction work after noon on Friday in Central Indiana. Crews will be off the Indianapolis interstates the entire weekend. No lane restrictions or closures will be in place.
- U.S. 50 between Loogootee and Mitchell, in Martin and Lawrence counties:
- Two paving operations near Buffalo Bottom and just east of Shoals.
- Bridge replacement with a lane of traffic controlled by temporary signal just west of Mitchell.
- I-65 in Jackson and Bartholomew counties has lane restrictions in both directions between Seymour and Columbus.
- On SR 37 in Morgan County, southbound traffic is restricted to one lane in Martinsville.
- SR 256 in Scott County is closed east of Austin
- I-74 in Decatur and Ripley counties has lane restrictions between exits 143 and 156 near Batesville.
Know Before You Go
Subscribe to receive text and email alerts about INDOT projects at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/subscriber/new. Find links to INDOT’s Facebook and Twitter pages at www.in.gov/indot/3074.htm.
Indy 500 Traffic
Race fans driving to Indianapolis 500 festivities this weekend should plan their routes to the track and designate a sober driver home. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway provides directions, transportation options and general race information at www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/events/indy500/fan-info/directions-and-zones/.
INDOT traffic management staff will be on duty during the race, monitoring traffic cameras and congestion, coordinating with law enforcement, and posting information to dynamic message signs. INDOT’s Hoosier Helpers freeway service patrol sponsored by State Farm will assist all weekend in keeping traffic flowing.
On Sunday, May 26, INDOT encourages through travelers to avoid race traffic on I-465 and I-65 on the west side of Indianapolis.